Mumbrella, 5 February 2019
SunRice has launched a new campaign which attempts to bring different cultures together over rice.
The ad, which has been created for Chinese New Year, features a new migrant family hosting their neighbours for dinner. The long silence is broken with the SunRice is brought out.
Throughout the ad people are seen eating the rice in different ways, including with tomato sauce.
The ad was created by Identity Communications.
Andrew Jeffrey, head of marketing at SunRice, said in a statement: “Chinese New Year is the biggest cultural occasion for the community, and we wanted to be there to celebrate this special occasion with them.
“As a proud Australian brand, we want to show our Asian consumers that we understand the aspirations of modern Asian-Australian families. Our Asian family is proud of their heritage, but they are also eager to be part of the Australian community.”
Thang Ngo, managing director at Identity Communications, added: “here are around one million Chinese speakers in Australia, making this audience highly attractive for brands. Just using red and gold colours or number 8’s in creative doesn’t cut-through anymore.
“It’s not new, doesn’t stand out and doesn’t demonstrate an understanding beyond cultural clichés. Brands need to demonstrate more sophistication and deeper understanding if they want to build an authentic connection with this valuable audience.”
The campaign is rolling out on SBS TV and Chinese and Vietnamese channels including Pay TV, digital, print and online.
- Head of Marketing & Insights: Andrew Jeffrey
- Senior Marketing Manager: Shannon Cumberlidge
- Brand Manager: Peta Thomas
Agency: Identity Communications
- Managing Director: Thang Ngo
- Head of Studio: Tobias Young
- Creative Director: Yasmin Quemard
- Art Director: Rachel Liang
- Writers: Yasmin Quemard, Brenda Leung and Sean Zhu
- Translation Management: Brenda Leung, Albert Han
- Designer: Rachel Liang
- Head of Strategy: Thang Ngo
- Client Services Director: Angelica Naranjo
- Production Coordinator: Murray Wallace
- Lead Developer: Dipak Sadaul
- Production Company: Clockwork Film